Our microgreens are sold in a living state. Follow these simple care instructions to maximize their potential in your kitchen!
Watch this video explaining how to harvest our microgreens: https://www.instagram.com/p/CO8AVGcpeLm/
Or click “Download” below for a one-page PDF of these instructions!
- PEAK FRESHNESS: Plan to consume the living microgreens within 5-7 days after delivery for peak freshness. Many report having success keeping them fresh for two weeks or longer with the right care!
- STORAGE of GROW PAD: On the day that you receive your microgreens, you can transfer the pad to a plate to keep on a countertop or in the refrigerator. No special lighting is required- ambient light will keep them photosynthesizing and growing, but they are ready to be consumed when you receive them!
- WATERING the LIVING MICROGREENS: If you are not going to harvest the product within four hours, bottom water under the grow pad(s) and avoid getting water on the delicate leaves and stems of the microgreens. Only a small amount of water (a 1/8-1/4 inch or just a few tablespoons) is required once or twice per day to moisten the roots. The microgreens will begin to lean over (instead of standing tall) if they are not receiving enough water.
- BEST BY DATE: The microgreens will continue to live until ready to harvest (as long as they continue to receive water), but it is advised that you harvest from the pad within five to seven days after delivery (although the greens will continue to be fresh in an airtight refrigerator container after you harvest them)!
- HARVESTING: Please cut the microgreens 1/2 inch above the compostable coconut grow pad with clean kitchen scissors or a harvest knife. The grow pad can be composted or discarded after use as the microgreens will not grow back.
- STORING CUT GREENS: Once harvested, you can keep the dry, cut microgreens in an airtight container in the refrigerator for another 3-5 days, just like a salad mix!
- RINSE AND PAT DRY: Rinse with water, vinegar, or a fruit and vegetable spray only when ready to eat! Pat dry before incorporating into your favorite meals!
What are root hairs?
When you look along the grow pad, you will see fine white cilia called ROOT HAIRS. Young plants develop root hairs through their grow medium in search of water and nutrients as they grow. They are similar in structure and function to the growth of capillaries in animals and mycelium in fungi! Do not be alarmed by their appearance- you will be cutting the microgreens above these roots and root hairs.
Fear not- these are the root hairs that are normally invisible to the human eye when plants are grown in dirt! This photo show how root hairs appear even when microgreens are grown in soil. Check out some of our the root hairs from our soil-free, hydroponic microgreens below.
Above is a photo of root hairs on our red cabbage microgreens. They are especially pronounced on the radish microgreens. Because we grow in a hydroponic system on coconut fiber grow pads, you will certainly see this anatomical part on our microgreens. The roots mean no harm- simply harvest above the roots to enjoy the stem and leaves!
We deliver our living superfood all over Northern Colorado each and every week, year round!